1. How do I register for classes?


Contact one of our three community locations in the city to arrange an appointment.

  •         Elmwood 204-772-1234
  •         Portage Place 204-943-1229
  •         West Broadway 204-775-8486
  •         Main Office 204-772-1234 (for general information)


Previous high school transcripts are essential for transferring of credits and helpful in course selection. Students are required to complete a Math and English assessment to determine appropriate course placement.


2. What are the costs to attending classes at Horizons Learning Centre?


There is a $40 annual registration fee for attending classes at Horizons Learning Centre. There are no additional costs for tuition. A refundable textbook deposit may be required in some courses.


3. When are classes offered?


Horizons Learning Centre regular school year operates from September to June. Daytime classes run mornings from 9:30 -12:00 noon, and afternoons from 1:00 - 3:30 for 9 weeks. Evening classes run two nights a week from 6:00 - 9:00 for 18 weeks. Registration is ongoing throughout the school year, prior to the start of quarters and semesters. A limited number of online WebCT course are offered. Summer School classes are offered in July and August.


4. How is this program different from GED?


Unlike the GED (General Educational Development), the Mature Student High School Diploma is accepted throughout post-secondary institutions.


5. What are the requirements for graduating with a Mature Student High School Diploma?


A student must complete a minimum of four grade 12(40S) courses including a 40S level Math and English course which are compulsory. Four additional credits are needed at the grades 9-12 level.


6. Can I take classes at more than one site?


Yes, many of our current students take course at multiple sites to complete the requirements to complete their diploma or upgrading. Students are advised on how best to schedule their individual timetables.


7. Can I take courses at Horizons Learning Centre if I have earned my grade 12 diploma, but require upgrading for university entrance?


Yes, a student can upgrade at our adult learning centre by producing a grade 12 diploma.


8. Are your courses delivered by independent study?


Our program delivers classroom based instruction for all courses, except for online WebCT. Students can also earn credits by PLAR (Prior Learning Assessment Recognition).